Saturday, May 15, 2004

What Is Red, Plastic And Glows In The Night?

Oh, oh, oh. I have a new toy.

As some may have surmised, a chunk of my work involves computers. Because I'm currently of 'no fixed abode' I've got a problem with out-of-hours work emergencies - if there's a problem, I have to be able to look at the systems (People Could Die - really)

Ordinarily I'd have a link in the house. Thing is, I'm currently between houses at the moment, and my elderly VW doesn't even have a cigarette lighter, let alone a satellite uplink.

The solution is this nifty little red plastic card that sticks out of the laptop and connects to a 3G mobile (cell-phone) network (GPRS if 3G isn't available.) At best, its a little slower than DSL, and worst its a bit better than a decent modem.

Its fab. Today I was paged while driving in the middle of nowhere, pulled into a layby, fired up the laptop and solved the problem. *This* is how the internet should work.

Sorry - geeked out big time there. Had to share.