Sunday, September 12, 2004

Desperado

I'm having one of those moments where one wonders "What's it all about, eh?" - and this is without any alcohol. Just a bottle of diet coke, cold pizza and sundry sullen members of staff to keep me company.

This weekend, you see, was a First-born weekend. I had plans. We were to go swimming, go to the seaside and throw stones in the sea (and at the tourists), go paint some pottery and hunt for something other than Toy Story 2 to watch.

But the evil Doctor Pager had other ideas.

So yesterday I spent a large part of the day squinting at a laptop while First-born played with the kids next door, and today I've been in the office for the whole day. The girl in question spent the first hour scooting about on wheely chairs and then the subsequent hours indulging in a Toy Story-a-thon. Then I took her back to her mother and returned to the office, returned to squint at a laptop screen.

The pay's good, but this (as our American friends would say) sucks.

I'll be back later with words about nuns, fishnet stockings and gin. In the meantime, as a tribute to Johnny Cash, I give you this. Monkeys are always funny, but there's a bit in this video that made me laugh out loud, even in the gloom of today. You'll know it when you see it...