Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Time To Pay The Moron Tax

Long-time readers may remember the Moron Tax episode.

This was where First-born pointed to a queue of people waiting to buy lottery tickets and said something along the lines of "Ooooh! Look at all those people paying the moron tax" in that loud, clear voice children reserve for the most embarrassing moments.

I refer to buying lottery tickets as 'Paying The Moron Tax' (which First-born had picked up on) because the odds of winning are astronomical and if you bought a ticket for all the main national draws, you'd have spent enough money to buy nearly 100 pints of beer over the course of a year.

I call that Beeronomics. Helps one understand the true value of things.

But I digress. Today has been a lucky day. Firstly, the tenancy agreement for the flat/house/thing arrived on time, I paid the hugely inflated deposit (that I know I'll never see again) and now have this Saturday as a guaranteed move-in date. I forgot to buy a parking permit for the car, but was waved on by a friendly traffic warden. And finally I found a favourite toy of First-born's that I thought I'd lost.

Hence I should take advantage of this streak of luck by paying the moron tax.

Or maybe I'll just buy a beer instead.