Tuesday, September 14, 2004

A Perfect Evening

(RING)

They: "Oh, hello. Are you not in the office?"
Me (internal): "No. Its 9pm, I've just worked 3 22 hour days and want some sleep. And if you genuinely thought I'd be in the office why did you call my mobile phone?"
Me: "No, can I help you?"
They: "Yes, there's a problem with the system. We need you to fix it"
Me: (internal) "I bet its another Americanism"
Me: "What is the nature of the problem?"
They: "The dates on one of the reports. They say 22 March, 2004, not March 22, 2004. The users won't understand it"
Me: (internal) "Bingo"
Me: "Oh, I see. Can it wait until tomorrow?"
They: "Of course it can't! You're contracted to provide 24 hour support and we want this fixed NOW!"

(SOUND OF PHONE HANGING UP)

Oh, and tonight is a First-born night too. We were watching Sleeping Beauty and eating chocolate as a small way of making up for the weekend when the phone went off.

I'm not looking for sympathy. Just somebody to offer me a job. Any job.