Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Make A Wish

I have a rule regarding First-born. I don't drink alcohol in her company. Its a rule thats been bent a few times (notably to breaking point when a hotel provided free champagne) but I generally try and stick to it.

Its not through any kind of high handed moral belief, or to set an example. No, its because I generally start talking utter rubbish after just one beer. Stuff I shouldn't say in front of her because it would lead to awkward questions.

Which is how the following conversation happened. I'd hadn't expected to see First-born tonight, and had enjoyed a single bottle of beer with the boss. Thats all it takes...

First born: "Do I have god-parents?"
Me: "Well, yes. You do. There's (The GodFather) and (Mad Friend Of The Ex)"
FB: (sigh) "I wish they were fairy god-parents"
Me: "Heh, well. I guess you could say that about (The GodFather)" - the guy has been out the closet since he was 14 and could best be described as 'flamboyant'
FB: "What do you mean?"
Me: (damn, damn, damn) "Er, er, er..."
FB: (sigh) "This is one of those things you'll tell me about when I'm older, isn't it?"
Me: (relieved to not have to discuss sexual orientation in a crowded restaurant with a 7 year-old): "Yes. Sorry."
FB: "Well, if I had a fairy god parent, I would get a magic wish"
Me: "What would you wish for?"

(Damn. I've done it twice in the same conversation - opened a can of worms. What is she going to wish for? Me and The Ex back together? That her grandmother hadn't died? What?)

FB: (long pause) "That chocolate was the healthiest thing you could eat"