Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Just A Little Bit Of History Repeating

I'm ploughing through the enormous pile of classic books dumped on me by my brother (finished The Picture Of Dorian Grey - great book, recommended) and having a great time.

I love books. I think books love me too, since I give them lots of attention by reading them over and over again.

The current book is The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. A kind of thriller and black comedy written at the end of the 19th century and set in Victorian London.

Its centred around an attempt to bomb the Greenwich Observatory (which actually happened) but Conrad weaves a fictional conspiracy theory around the whole thing, with shadowy people in power using and driving such acts of terror to further their political goals and tighten their grip on power.

If it wasn't for the fact that its also a very funny book, I'd send a copy to Mr. Blair and Mr. Bush to peruse.