Thursday, September 30, 2004

Smugness Becomes Him

As well as that all over smugness one gets at work after a 6am session in the gym (followed usually by falling asleep over one's keyboard at 4pm, which tends to spoil the effect somewhat) I have found myself exuding a slightly different type of smugness.

This is the 'been there, done that' smugness.

Let me explain; I embarked on my first serious relationship aged 18, bought my first house aged 20, married at 21, First-born appeared when I was 25, by 32 I was divorced.

By my reckoning, most of my friends are about 10 years behind me. Some have recently embarked on LTRs, some are about to have their first baby. By my reckoning the first divorces should kick off in the next 10 years or so. So I sit back and watch events unfold with both a sense of deja vu and a dreadful inner smugness of which I'm slightly ashamed.

I am particularly looking forward to the adventures of friends who were full of advice regarding the bringing up of First-born. I wonder if they will have model babies that fit into their lives like a piece in an expensive jigsaw puzzle as planned? Or will they have children that crash through their lives like a puppy at a picnic?

Cheaper than paying to watch soap operas on TV, I guess...

Tonight is my last night in this house. Tomorrow I'm taking some of the people from work out for a "attaboys-and-girls" thankyou meal, and Saturday... well... we all know whats happening on Saturday...