Friday, June 25, 2004

A Close Shave

A note to car drivers. In particular, those driving their grandmother's old Nova with what resemble baked bean cans strapped to the exhaust and 'Max Power' stickers covering up the rust.

If I stick my arm out on my bike, it is because I intend to turn in that direction in the near future.

I am not attempting to dry nail varnish. While I admire the verbal wit of Eddie Izzard, I have no desire to emulate his appearance.

Instead, I am giving you notice of my manoeveur. Not unlike the indicator lights on your car. Except you don't know what they are, do you? I imagine they don't work anyway, since much of the limited power your engine produces is probably directed to producing sound waves capable of knocking birds out trees.

So, when you see a cyclist with his or her arm out it isn't a sign to overtake in the direction they're pointing, its a sign to hang back and wait until the manoeveur is complete.

Idiot.

Yeah - someone almost wiped me out today. The knowledge that they couldn't have failed to see me (I've been unkindly compared to a grapefruit on a cocktail stick when riding in my high-visibility gear) and so would have had to spend maybe 6 months at her Majesty's pleasure doing time for dangerous driving would have been great comfort to me as I lay on the mortician's slab.

Which reminds me. Legal stuff to do today - change Will.