Thursday, June 03, 2004

Holiday Ro-oh-oh-oh-oh-aod Part 2

Last half day and I'm away for ten days. However, because I'm surgically attached to my pager, cell-phone and laptop, the updates will come thick and fast.

Assuming I get off the ground. It seems the brand spanking new UK air-traffic control centre has broken down and no planes are taking off from any UK airport.

Yup. You heard that right. Nothing is taking off.

From a geek perspective, I can't get my head around this. I run a medical system and we have massive redundancy - we're talking a complete duplicate system sitting in a building a mile away in the event of a total disaster. In two years we've never had down-time. Ever.

I stalk about the office, pouncing on innocent programmers with a cry of "Lives Are At Stake!" Mainly because they are. If quality slips, patients are at risk.

So how can it be that an air traffic control centre can be so totally shutdown by a computer error?

Gosh. Am I ever nervous about flying today..