Wednesday, June 23, 2004

To Buy Or Not To Buy

Today's post comes from the Thinking Out Loud department.

Decisions, decisions. As the process drags on (extracting a settlement from The Ex and The Boyfriend) and UK interest rates continue their inexorable climb upwards I find myself facing a dilemma.

Do I hold fire on sorting myself out a place to live?

Rationally, I should. The UK housing market is a silly thing at the moment - there is only one way for prices to go at the moment, and that's down.

On the other hand (and I feel really guilty about this) living with my father is slowly driving me insane. And I think he's a bit offended that I've taken to wedging a chair under the door-handle to guarantee a modicum of privacy.

I thought about renting a place, but having always owned my own home, I find the idea of paying someone else's mortgage offensive.

And of course, there's always the jacuzzi issue... gotta have that underwater lighting.

Yeah. I'll carry on. A swift bit of mental arithmetic (ok, ok, I used Windows calculator) confirms I could still afford the payments even if the interest rates went up to 10%. I'd just have to buy cheaper beer.