Sunday, June 20, 2004

Happy Birfathers Day

I have a really great family. I'm very lucky.

Today was a triple celebration; my brother turned 30, my cousin turned 26 and it was Fathers Day. This called for a family party. And it being summer, this involved burning sundry pieces of dead animal flesh and dubious vegetables on a distressingly unstable barbecue.

Of course, this being round my cousin's house, the barbecue was actually a space-age device that looked as though it belonged in orbit, rather than squatting in the garden.

First-born spent the morning painstakingly creating cards because she is:

a) Artistic, creative and talented
b) Too cheap to buy proper cards

(the actual answer is c) She couldn't afford to buy a card because she'd spent her allowance buying me a surprise gift. And yes, it brought a tear to the eye.)

My cousin was very proud of his new creation. He has begun to make his own sausages. These two-foot long behemouths sizzled nicely on the grill while he gave a blow by blow account of the manufacturing process. Not for the first time, I considered vegetarianism.

I digress. The food was excellent. The company was excellent. The beer was excellent.

Today was a good day.